Welkom/ Welcome

Vanaf augustus 2011 tot augustus 2012 zal Tina in Thailand zijn. Volg haar avonturen in de berichtgeving.

From August 2011 till August 2012 Tina will be in Thailand. Follow her adventures in the reports.

zondag 4 maart 2012

Week filled with new experiences


This week gave insights into a different Thailand than I had yet experienced. Saturday was the graduation ceremony of the Akha Outreach Foundation Bible School. Hundreds of people in their traditional Akha dress were present to support their family members. After a varied three-hour program lunch was provided for all 1000+ guests. Incredible such an organization, all done by volunteers. The teachers of CRICS who were present were privileged to be VIPs and ate in the air conditioned dining room. The families of the graduates were so proud to see their children or family members attain something they never dreamed of doing.
The week was ended in a very special experience. The father of one of our students, who was only 64 died of cancer. The mother and brother are Buddhists and the daughter is Christian. Our school was given permission to bless the family with song and prayer while at the temple. Afterwards we stayed for the Buddhist ceremony. Religious traditions are often a reflection of the culture, or perhaps the opposite, the culture of the people are reflected in the religious habits and ceremonies. Part of the ceremony was offering the monks presents: clothing, food, etc. In their tradition this will earn them more ‘merits’ for the family. Such merit contributes to a person's growth towards liberation. An unending job; they are never done. My faith is based on grace: undeserved redemption by God through his son Jesus. I too am never done, but not in earning but in responding to this love.

My Saturday afternoon was rounded off at the “Central” as my students call it. This is an ultra-modern shopping mall with clothing prices comparable to that in Holland. I indulged in a cappuccino, a scoop of American ice cream and some foreign groceries. I felt rather decadent.
This past week the school was taken over by angels for the game “Angels and Mortals”. Everyone drew lots and in this way were given a mortal to care for throughout the week. After an initial sigh, I quickly got into my role. It was very rewarding to think about my ‘mortal’, considering various forms and words of encouragement that she might need. At the end of the week when all was revealed, I got to hear that all that I had given in gifts and words were ‘spot on’. Amazing what a little time and energy can do for the good of someone else.
Thai people are very respectful of others; greeting others with words and a bow is normal, addressing people of importance in your life with an added name is often heard. ‘Pi” means older brother or sister. ‘Ma’ means mother. ‘Khru’ means teacher. This week one of the girls from Baan Phak Phing drew close to me and called me Ma-Tina. I was greatly moved. Such a compliment!
Thursday was International Day at CRICS. It’s amazing how patriotic one feels when outside the countries borders! Most of the many countries were presented in posters, skits, songs and snacks. Luckily there are several other enthusiastic Dutch and semi-Dutch people to help with the activity. We sang the Dutch national anthem in soccer supporter outfits. At sports event is when the anthem is heard most often. My time in Thailand has been the perfect combination of both my cultures. I live with Dutch and work in an English speaking environment with mainly Americans. I’ve decided to take on the American point of view about nationality: I’m Dutch with American heritage. That feels good.
People all around me ask me about my feelings about ‘going home’. This is difficult. I miss my kids and friends terribly but I will find it hard to leave this country. I’ve made new friends and have learned a lot about many things. My blogs will remind me when I become forgetful.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten