Welkom/ Welcome

Vanaf augustus 2011 tot augustus 2012 zal Tina in Thailand zijn. Volg haar avonturen in de berichtgeving.

From August 2011 till August 2012 Tina will be in Thailand. Follow her adventures in the reports.

zaterdag 18 februari 2012

On the Wrong side


Since I’ve lived in the US and Europe all of my life, driving on the right and walking on the right feel normal. But nothing is really “normal” anymore. Even after 6 months in Thailand I regularly find myself on the wrong side of the street. Luckily for me, my tanned though clearly white skin gives much clemency among the native citizens.
Often I find myself on the wrong side in various other situations. My western judgments regularly block acceptance and understanding. My father was born Indonesian, although he spent most of his school boy years in Holland. He lived in California for 25 years, but the American drive for achievement never became part of his character. These past few months I have witnessed a similar laidback, ‘it will happen, when it happens’ attitude that my father had, to the great displeasure of his wife and two daughters. How unfortunate for him. I wish I had been on ‘that other side’ to have known and understood him better.
I can marvel at the seemingly inefficient way of life in Thailand. My western mind questions the over-abundance of professional workers everywhere, be it at the hospital, in a shop or on a construction crew. Apparently, even though prices are incredibly inexpensive (at least for foreigners) salaries can be paid to stand around doing nothing. Yet, these people do have ‘jobs’. Who is on the wrong side here?
There is an absolutely amazing number of stalls selling the same food and articles along the streets and in the markets. They just pop up out of nowhere—here today and gone tomorrow. No need for a vendor’s license. I wonder if entrepreneurship is in these people’s blood. Sometimes they only earn enough to survive. That seems all that these ‘business people’ are concerned about. The constant retrace mentality hasn’t hit most of them. I would consider this the right side.
Juxtaposed to this scene are the wealthy, luxury hotels serving the foreigners and the Thai who can afford it. I had dinner last week for the price that one could have eaten 15 (!) Thai meals on the street. Is it on the right side just because I can afford it?
That doesn’t mean that in certain situations I don’t take advantage of my foreign financial position in this country. My first crown was placed this week and in two weeks the second will be in my mouth. But then on the “other side”.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten